Friday, December 14, 2012

Let's DO THIS!!

Tonight was our churches annual Christmas concert.  I wanted to go but was trying to figure out how to fit it in with Andrews crazy work schedule and 4 children.  I decided to just throw in the towel and pass on this years festivities.
Then this afternoon as I'm on the phone with my sister she mentions that she is going to the concert and suggest that I come along.  I express my concern that attempting an hour + concert with 4 kids doesn't really sound like something that will put me in that holiday spirit.  She suggest I pull out the secret weapon.... Candy.
I give it some thought and make the decision... let's DO THIS!

Being a mother of 4 young children I have come to realize that being a mom has A LOT to do with planning and preparation... so I made a plan.

-Gather Supplies:
     -$7 worth or candy = 1 bag of suckers, 1 bag of gummy bears, 1 bag chocolate covered raisins.
     -Large bottle of water (to wash down all that candy).
     -Blaize's sippy cup with fresh milk.
     -Wipes... lots of wipes.
     -Single stroller = to lock down the little one.
     -Hearty Bear. This is Blaize's favorite stuffed animal pal.... he just makes life a bit happier.

-The game plan:
     -Divide and conquer. Split up the children between my sisters kids who are helpful, older, and distracting and my sister.
     -Lock down Blaize in the stroller so he has limited movement.  He runs fast we don't want him taking off.
     -Distraction = let them enjoy a sucker so they think they are just hanging out eating candy when actually they are enjoying O Holy Night.

The result....

We choose a nice seat on the second row.... now some of you might be saying, "What are you thinking?!? Sit in the back!"  But sitting in the second row gives you great motivation to keep everyone obedient and quiet and it also gives you and them a great view of the show.
All the kids did fabulous.  Blaize enjoyed the large screens that always seemed to have some kind of movement playing on them that he found quite mesmerizing.  He also realized it was cool to clap and cheer on the second to last song.  Shaw enjoyed a nice comfortable lounge with his head rested on Aspyn's lap and his feet elevated on my sisters lap... such a dude.  Marinn and Taurin did so great the only time I knew they were there is when they were asking for another sucker.
Overall I would say it was a success... but when they say it takes a village to raise a child I would totally agree.  I couldn't have done it without my sister's family helping me out and helping my family enjoy the holiday festivities.

Don't think you've missed out on the Christmas concert fun because they are doing it again tomorrow night!! And guess what? Tomorrow night they offer child care ; ) ; )  (You might be asking why I just didn't go tomorrow night...well, that because I'll be there to watch your kids!  Don't worry I'm leaving the candy home.)


1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!! I was so happy to see you there!! Your kids were great! Now that I know the secret weapon....muah ha ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete