Friday, February 13, 2015

She stole my heart like a ninja...literally.

Marinn... she is one of the most thoughtful and caring children I have ever met.  She was my first little baby and has taught so many things the last 8 years.

Last night we went to finish some birthday shopping for Taurin.  Marinn was very excited to be a part of the shopping trip and was very involved in every aspect.  She gave lots of great insight for cupcake decorations and when I tried to change my mind after making some decisions she said, "Mom, let's stay focused here.  Don't get side tracked."

As we were browsing some Valentine's cards for Andrew she came across one that was a sort of pop up.  As she opens it up it was this drawn hairy legs and polka dot boxer shorts and the second she opened it I was like, "Whoa! Put that one back!" She calmly puts it back and says, "Well that one is inappropriate."

She loves looking at greeting cards, all the songs and sparkles and fun paper we had fun looking through them and I found what I was looking for then we moved on to some presents for Taurin.

As we checked out she asks to help load the bags... which is very common with my children so I agree and she's very diligent in getting them in the cart immediately.  We had a great time shopping and finish up with a chocolate milk shake and some chicken nuggets from Chic-fil-A.

Once we get home she rushes inside and as I see her turn the corner I notice she seems to be concealing something in her jacket but I can't really tell what it is.  I ask her what she has and she just says she's going to take her jacket off.  I get caught up in the unloading of bags and don't really think anything of it.
Then, she comes up and suggests that I come up stairs with her and we change into pajamas.  She seem very set on me doing it right then and I agree thinking she just has enjoyed spending some time with me and wants to finish it off.
She heads to her room and I head to mine.  As I walk in the bedroom I notice a glittery, fancy Valentine card on my dresser.  I think... hmmm Andrew is really early this year.  OR... oh no! Did Marinn steal a card for me??  I open the card and find an adorable handwritten "I love you mom! From: Marinn" inside the card.  My heart sinks at the thought of Marinn wanting to give me a special Valentine card by stealing it.  I am conflicted thinking what I will do if that is the case.  I believe she knows better not to steal but I did not pay for that card.  Then I remember her act like she was hiding something the second we got home.  What am I going to do?!?

I call her into my room and she is so light and bouncing and proud as she sees the card in my hand.  I tell her that it was very nice and thoughtful but that I needed to know something.

"Did you steal this card Marinn??"

"NO Mom! I didn't.  You paid for it." she says surely

"No Marinn I didn't."

"Yes, you did. Remember when I was helping with the bags and I held that one up in your face for you to put in the cart?"

"Yes. I do" I remember her doing it and surprisingly this is not something new for me while shopping.  I remember thinking sheesh... just put it in the cart you don't have to shove it in my face.

"Well, when I put that in your face I handed my card to the lady and she rung it up.  It was only one dollar."

I flipped the card over and look at the price... $6.97.  "Marinn this card was not a dollar."

"I checked the receipt when we left I saw it on there I know she did it mom."  She says.

She did ask to look at the receipt when we were leaving the store and I let her.  She looked at it and mentioned how man $1 items we purchased in our trip and handed it back to me.  Now I believe her but I want to see the receipt... mostly to prove to myself how easily distracted I am.  And there it is right in the middle of all my other purchases, the $6.97.

I am just amazed that my ninja child has someone snuck a card into the cart, retrieved it, distracted me while passing it to the cashier, verified her purchase, and retrieved it again before coming into the house.  I am soo pleased with her.  She really had a desire to do something special.  Marinn loves to give gifts!  And the biggest gift of all was her ability to keep her morals in tact all while getting me a sweet card... that I literally bought for myself without knowing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment